Thursday, November 09, 2006

Dungeons and Dragons

This is the rebirth of Jacob's Brother. I'm starting a D&D game with some friends; it should be cool. I ran the same introductory module a long time ago for a different set of friends; I liked it so much that I decided I'd do it again.

The setting is a world of my own design that doesn't follow the usual power to responsibility scale of most D&D worlds. In most D&D worlds, ninth level characters are disproportionately powerful to their stations in life, particularly spell casters. Ninth level characters should make most people quake in their boots, and hold all kinds of power. To accomplish this redistribution of power, I made the environment very small: there aren't a lot of people around. I also put an absolute cap on challenge ratings for any figure with interests on the world, including deities. There's nothing above CR 24 in my world. If you're ninth level, you usually have a settlement or two under your domain; thirteenth level characters usually become important vassals to kings or part of a ruling oligarchy. I also slowed down character level progression. I'm going to reduce xp by half. My adventures tend to be combat-oriented, so that means level advancements about every other sessions.

The plot will be cool. If the game goes through, I'll post an update after every session. For readers of Struggles with Words, this blog will be a welcome departure from my real life. I love distractions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home